Sandwell Valley Sailing Club (SVSC) is committed to protecting the rights and privacy of individuals, including club members, instructors and others, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which came into force in May 2018.
The new regulations demand higher accountability in how personal data is managed and used. It also allows new rights for individuals to understand and control that use. The GDPR contains provisions that SVCS is aware of as a data controller, including the provisions designed to protect personal data.
SVSC needs to process certain information about its Club Members, Instructors, etc and other individuals with whom it has a business relationship for various purposes such as, but not limited to:
1. The recruitment and payment of instructors, both on a regular and freelance basis.
2. The administration of booking and training in order to do this.
3. Enrolment into the club.
4. Collecting payment for membership, boat hire and training.
5. Complying with legal obligations including HMRC etc as to the length of time such records are kept.
To comply with all legal obligations, including the obligations imposed on it by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) SVSC must ensure that all of this information about individuals is collected and used fairly, stored safely, securely and not disclosed to any third party unlawfully.
The policy applies to all club members, non-club members and instructors both regular and freelance, and any breach of this policy will be considered a disciplinary offence.
We do not share any personal information with external bodies except for when we are legally obliged to do so. For example, the required information is provided to HMRC, Charity Commission and Companies House amongst others.
This policy will be updated as and when any changes or amendments to the legislation occur.
This legislation came in to force on the 25th May 2018 and regulates the processing of personal data. It protects the rights and privacy of all living individuals, including children. All individuals who are the subject of personal data have a general right of access to the personal data which relates to them and they can exercise the right to gain access to their information by means of a subject access request. This data may be in hard or soft copy (paper or manual files, electronic records etc.) A fee can be charged for this request to cover club members time etc needed to obtain the information and the information must be provided within 50 working days
SVCS will act as the ‘data controller’ which means it is responsible for controlling the use and processing of personal data.
SVSC appoints Club Principal and Club Secretary to act as its Data Protection Officers who will be responsible for all day-to-day data protection matters and will ensure that all members and instructors adhere to this policy.
SVSC will ensure that it only processes personal data in line with the following guidance provided by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) :-
1) Process all personal data fairly and lawfully.
2) Process the data for the specific and lawful purpose for which it collected that data.
3) Ensure that the data is adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose for which it is processed.
4) Keep personal data accurate and, where necessary, up to date.
5) Only keep personal data for as long as is necessary.
6) Process personal data in accordance with the rights of the data subject under the legislation.
7) Put appropriate technical and organisational measures in place against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data, and against accidental loss or destruction of data.
8) Ensure that no personal data is transferred to a country or a territory outside the European Economic Area (EEA) unless that country or territory ensures adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.
Any individuals who contact SVSC in order to use its services will be deemed to have provided consent for us to use their email/contact details in order to further the booking or enquiry. All information provided will only be used for this purpose.
For further information can be found at: www.ico.org.uk